In 1971, it was founded as UCC, the university Computer Center.
In 1988, it was established as an Institute of Computer Science and Technology (ICST). On July 1, 1998, the Institute was
changed to the University of Computer Studies, Yangon (UCSY).
The University of Computer Studies,Yangon (UCSY) is one of the higher institutions under the Ministry of Science and Technology.
UCSY is to conduct teaching and research in various branches of computer science, computer technology, and information technology.
To meet the growing need for general and advanced computer education in Myanmar, the university currently offers both undergraduate and
postgraduate degrees. Its language of instruction is English.
Bachelor degrees were started in 1986 but Master degrees were offered in 1973. In May 2001, the Ph.D. program was started. For all study programs, each academic year is divided into two terms. Each term has 18 weeks for teaching and practical. Examinations are conducted during the end of each term. Clear attendance, tutorials and practical, class assignments are taken into account as components of the assessment.
To become a university that nurtures the computer professionals in keeping with ethics and continuous learning of up-to-date computer subjects, which can develop the Republic of the Union of Myanmar as a modern and developed nation in accordance with Information and Communication Technology.
- To obtain more opportunities for developing multi-sectors such as human resources, economy, society and education by means of computer and ICT subjects.
- To employ the technology efficiently for the nation by observing and exploiting the state-of-the-art technology from internationalization.
- To collaborate with international organizations, institutions and research organizations for establishing ICT research works related to computer fields.
- To produce human capitals with five strengths such as physical, moral, ethical, social and economic.
- To create a new teaching-learning environment which emphasizes the research analysis of innovations.
- To foster delivering continuous ICT professional development to university staff, alumni and ICT professionals.
- To become a university which assures the quality by enhancing quality of education, research and service areas.
- To become a university that conducts teaching and research in various branches of computer science, computer technology, and information technology.
- To meet the growing need for general and advanced computer education in Myanmar.
- To promote the quality of teaching, research work, and living standard of the teaching staff.
- To provide high quality education services for improving the employment opportunities of students.
- To promote entrepreneurship in the information and communications technology industries.
- To train future generations such as ICT professionals, leaders and entrepreneurs for Myanmar and to advance research and development in both the academic and professional disciplines.
- To help meet the growing need for general and advanced computer education in Myanmar and to promote research and scholarly activities.
- To build upon the academic quality and learning environment of the University and to enhance the quality of student life.
- To offer both undergraduate and post graduate degrees as well as diploma programs in computer studies.
- To conduct research contributing to the welfare of the nation and to carry out research and development activities on ICT utilizing the high caliber experts.
- To have a smooth transition from teacher-centered teaching approach to student-centered teaching approach.
- To enhance academic excellence through promoting Industry-University partnerships and share knowledge of emerging technologies that are essential for the development of the Industry and nation.
- To enhance collaboration and cooperation both with national and international organizations.
- To promote good administration system and create conducive study environment.
- To build and renovate the research laboratories in accordance with the international procedures for achieving the research works.
- Lifelong learning